How to Sell a Car in NC to a Virginia Resident
Laws and Compliance, NC Dealers
Because you’re a North Carolina used car dealer, you will use primarily North Carolina paperwork. So your forms will look something like this:
- NC MVR-2
To reassign the title to the customer.
- Bill of Sale
Do not include any tax or registration fees. The customer will pay those separately when they go to the DMV to register the vehicle in VA. However, if you are going to the DMV you will need to collect these and pay the VA DMV.
- NC MVR-180 and 181
Always include odometer and damage disclosures.
- FTC Buyer’s Guide
- VA VSA-17a
As a courtesy to your customer you could print them this Virginia title application. If not they can complete one at the DMV.
- Vehicle Inspection receipt
Other scenarios to look out for
- If there is a lienholder involved with the sale make sure they do not require you to go to the Virginia DMV to register the vehicle.
- If the vehicle you are selling is a repossession, so it has a Certificate of Repossession attached to the title, the VA DMV will not accept the Title. You will first need to title the car in the dealership’s name before reassigning it to the customer.
- The above also applies to vehicles with more than 5 MVR-2s attached to the Title.
- You can issue a 30-Day temporary tag but make sure you verify with the customer’s insurance company that they are authorized to do business in your state.
Have more questions? Need more answers?
This article was written in partnership with Kat Messenger and Carolina Dealer Training. Join her mailing list to stay updated on laws and compliance. If you have more questions or need further clarification contact Kat directly.
If you like what you see here check out our products and services made for Used Car DealersDealer Software $99 Dealer Websites Social Media Marketing How to Become a Dealer Marketing Tips
Have a Question or need Technical Support?Call (704) 307-2030 Our Help Site Remote Support Link Chat On Facebook
Over 20 Years in Business.
Based in Apex, NC.
Family-Owned and Operated.
Serving Dealers in the Carolinas.