New NC Rules for Titling in a Business Name
There is a new law in effect for North Carolina businesses that want to title a vehicle in their Business/Corporation/Firm/or Partnership name. Below is a brief summary and then the full announcement:
Starting March 15th, 2023, when you title a vehicle in the name of a business, you need
(1) a valid Driver‘s License or Identification Card belonging to an owner or officer of the business (no passports),
(2) papers proving the business exists in North Carolina – ie business license,
(3) and the business name on the bill of sale and title work signed by the owner (no power’s of attorney).
New Rules for Titling in a Business/Corporation/Firm/Partnership
New Titling Requirements (Effective 3/15/2023)
- Copy of the firm, partnership, corporation or businesses incorporation papers, assumed business name filing, etc. to prove the company exists in NC. It must be confirmed on the NC Secretary of State website
- All title work must be signed by the owner or officer of the business who is listed on the official business filings. No one with a Power of Attorney (POA) will be allowed to sign for the business.
- A copy of a Driver’s License or Identification Card belonging to the owner or officer of the firm, partnership, corporation, or business must be included with the paperwork.
- ONLY a valid DL or ID from a US State or US Territory is allowed. Valid means that it is
current and not expired. **PASSPORT AND/OR OTHER COUNTRY ID CARDS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
- If the business filing date on the Sec of State was after the assignment date, then the title work will be rejected. The business must be established before titling a vehicle in that
- The bill of sale must be the same as the business entity. If the bill of sale is to an
individual, and the assignment is to the business, the title work will be rejected.
This will be required for each piece of title work done in the name of a business, no matter if they already have vehicles titled in their name in NC
If you like what you see here check out our products and services made for Used Car DealersDealer Software $99 Dealer Websites Social Media Marketing How to Become a Dealer Marketing Tips
Have a Question or need Technical Support?Call (704) 307-2030 Our Help Site Remote Support Link Chat On Facebook
Over 20 Years in Business.
Based in Apex, NC.
Family-Owned and Operated.
Serving Dealers in the Carolinas.